Saturday, February 26, 2011

Mistrust

February 26, 2011

The other day my daughter turned 12. At her school, the kids are allowed to bring treats on their birthdays as long as they bring them for all the kids in their class. Cecilia likes to bake with me, and her favorite is pumpkin muffins, so I suggested that we make some mini pumpkin muffins to take. We always make pumpkin muffins with whole-wheat flour, and usually slip in a little quinoa for added texture (and nourishment, from my agenda), along with some raisins and walnuts if she lets me get away with it. But she told me she couldn’t bring pumpkin muffins. “Why not?” I asked. “Because we’re not allowed to bring homemade food,” she replied. “Why not?” I repeated incredulously. “I don’t know.”
So I called the school and explained the situation. The secretary told me that there are so many food allergies that students are only allowed to bring foods where the ingredients are listed; hence, store-bought, pre-packaged food. So I offered to make an ingredient list for any classmates that might have allergies. “I’m sorry, ma’am,” she said, “children aren’t allowed to bring homemade food.” “Even with an ingredient list?” I asked. “Even with an ingredient list.”
Obviously there was something else going on here. If the only issue were the ingredients, the problem would be solved with a simple ingredient list, as each child could make sure the treat didn’t contain anything they were allergic to. We could certain eliminate the walnuts, for example. What was really going on here? Cecilia and I not only wanted to make a generous gesture by taking our time to make her favorite treat for her classmates; we also were offering to bring a wholesome, homemade snack, one that arguably no parent could object to.
Since the pumpkin muffin idea had been nixed, I asked Cecilia what her classmates typically bring in for their birthdays. “Oh, bags of potato chips, iced cookies from the supermarket, take-out pizza, mini-chocolate bars.” And that was considered acceptable? What we proposed bringing was infinitely healthier than that.
And then I made a mental connection back to the Halloweens of my youth, when we were warned never to accept anything homemade, and never to accept apples because of the urban legend of the razorblade slipped into the apple (last Halloween I read an article stating that no razorblade had ever been found in any apple, but still…). And those homemade treats made by the old lady up the street, well who knows what’s really in them? She could be a mad old hag stirring up witch’s brew in her pestilent cauldron. Instead, our parents preferred our plastic pumpkins to be filled with Tootsie Rolls, lollypops, and mini-bars, all infinitely worse for you than that apple or the old lady’s baked treats.
It seems that this mistrust of each other has continued unabated and even spread. Instead of trusting my daughter and myself to make something that is at the very least edible – after all, my daughter is going to eat it, too – and most likely far healthier and more wholesome than any store-bought, pre-packaged treat, the school prefers to mistrust me and trust instead the industrial food-makers, who I would argue do not have our children’s health in mind when they market snacks. They have flavor, and some might say addiction – to salt and sugar – in mind, and they have mass consumption in mind, and judging from the lists of additives and preservatives they certainly have shelf life in mind – given the amazing expiration dates, sometimes a year down the road (I wouldn’t want to see our muffins even four days after coming out of the oven). But health and wholesomeness, let’s face it: they’re not really achieved by symbolically pumping in a few vitamins to assuage parents’ guilt as they serve their children this “food”.
So for my daughter’s birthday, we bought a 22-pack of chips. As I bemoaned this fact with a fellow mother, she consoled me with the dubious, “Well at least some of them are Sun Chips; they’re healthy.” Wow! That’s healthy? They may be less bad for you than Lay’s sour cream and onion, but the lesser evil doesn’t make it good. The food industry has truly brainwashed some of us.
I really like the school’s ever-so-reasonable policy, one that really keeps our kids in mind. Far better Jimmy John’s – the fat congealing on top of the copious layers of cheese – or Hostess – with a “cream” filling that’s never seen a dairy product in its life (although I guess that’s a boon for the lactose-intolerant…). At least that way we feed the system and sow that mistrust that our own neighbors don’t have our welfare in mind more than mindless, soulless yet ever-so-caring industrial giants, big brothers clearly watching out for our health and well-being.

4 comments:

  1. What I've heard at my school is that somewhere out east, a kid baked a cake with some poison in it, made some kids sick, and since then, when school leaders heard the story, the decided a policy to avoid that happening again, or to at least have someone for parents to sue other than the school, was to not allow anything that was not made by a company into school. You might want to incorporate as a baker and print stickers on the muffins in the future so they look store bought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Mom used to talk about this--not bringing homemade stuff to school. When I was little (a little more than 40 years ago, groan)my Mom volunteered to be a homeroom Mom, or something like that--can't remember the term. THis meant that she did special things for the class like maybe bringing cookies on Valentine's Day, for example. But she said it all changed when I was around 10. She wasn't allowed to bring homemade stuff anymore. So that rule has been around for a long time. It's too bad that people opt for bringing junk food though. Here in Spain, I tried to bring homemade stuff, but they didn't like my "healthy" cakes either, so I ended up always having to bring croissants and ensaimadas instead. Even then, some kids couldn't have some of the snacks because of either allergies or diabetes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If it's any consolation, we're not allowed to bring homemade stuff to my daughters' Spanish school. Only "pastisseria coca" with the receipt attached (but not the ingredient list)! Covering your back is going international, it seems. And for the record, I preferred tootsie rolls to apples when I was a kid!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! At Cecilia's school in Spain they allowed homecooked snacks, although it's true that they did prefer the ensaimadas and croissants. Tony, icorporating's a great idea. And Rachel, who didn't prefer to Tootsie Rolls, but still... the reasons are wrong.

    ReplyDelete